Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Mireille- **TECHNIQUE WEEK**

I kept this layout pretty simple to emphasize the waves and the technique I wanted to show. This year Amber was swimming for the first time without aid and when I saw her splashing around in the sea I knew I had to make a layout with "waves." I choose to create my waves using gesso and ink.



Summer Splash
by Mireille Divjak

SUPPLIES
Cardstock: Bazzill
Lace Cardstock: KI Memories– Journal Teal
Gesso
Ink: Tim Holtz Distress Ink- Faded Jeans, Broken China
Alphabet Stickers – Luxe Designs
Raindots- Cloud 9 Design
Brads- Queen & Co
Pen- Sakura & American Crafts

HOW TO

Paint technique: Take the gesso (a paint primer) and a small sponge and apply the gesso in thick layers on your white cardstock. Make sure you start at the bottom with a thinner layer and leave a thicker layer on top for your "waves." Let it dry. If you want to speed up the drying process you can use your heatgun to dry the gesso. Using the heatgun on the gesso will give it a little more "body."

After your gesso has dried tap Distress Ink onto your craft sheet.
Then take your mini mister, fill it up with water and spray it over the ink.

Put foam on your blending tool and tap it in your water/ink and gently tap and sweep it over your gesso. Tapping and sweeping will both give different effects. Play with it to discover which effect you like best. I used a combination of both to try and give it a most natural looking sea effect.
I used the light shade of blue first. After drying I applied a second layer of ink and this time a darker shade of blue. You can skip parts to let the white of the gesso shine through for a more natural "wave looking" effect. If skipping doesnt work you can use a baby wipe to take some of the ink off.


Use your craft knife to cut away the excess Gesso.
I then adhered the lace cardstock and the pictures. I put a white border over my letter stickers to make them pop more and used some "raindrops" to give it a more water-like look.
Finish with a few fish brads.

2 comments:

Britta said...

these instructions are GREAT! love it! Will try it ´cause I love to get messy with gesso :)

Charlot said...

Really really nice.....What a great technique....makes me wanna go to the store and buy supplies NOW